Skip to main content

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...








I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week.

One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words.

You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed.

And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it.

There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life.

So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just peace...

Coming back to this parent who was very unhappy with her son, she told me that he keeps coming to her and says the word “smile” and keeps on repeating till she says the word or actually smiles. She wanted me to help her with this behavior.

When we traced back to the source of the behavior, it was arising out of the fear that mom will get angry and so he kept saying “smile” to ensure that mom was happy with him even if he did something inappropriate. In this case, it was the mom’s reaction that was affecting the child. When she was more stressed, the word “smile” would come even more.

We worked on the behavior but what surprised me was how beautifully the child was like a barometer to the mom’s stress. The days she was calmer, the word “smile” did not come but the days she was stressed, he would say the word many times. And thus, it was not a lot of work on the child but on the parents.

And then, the next day, another child with the same behavior- the word used was “Are you happy?”

And that repeated with the third child too. This time, the words were “Happy, Happy, happy?”

And you know what, the energy that I sense with all of these kids was FEAR- as soon as they say the words above, my heart would feel heavy and sink. They all just wanted their parents to feel happy when they failed to regulate their behaviors. All of these kids had the same energy signature to their words. They were all trying to say “I am sorry, I messed up. I am sorry but I do not know how to repair my behavior and I am stuck with the negative emotions unable to come out of them, please help me.”

Somedays I feel that parenting is like an exam. The exam for which we really prepared to the best of our capacity but when the question paper appeared, we went blank. Everything is there in the mind but nothing comes out on paper”. So even when parents know what to do and how to deal with the behavior, they go blank and REACT instead of UNDERSTANDING their child.

Phewww...these little ones who enter my consultation room (and the one in my house) are teaching me the biggest lessons of my life(something that I can never learn in any college or from any book).... and I love them for doing that!!!

Reena Singh







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou