Skip to main content

Transitioning to gray.... happily!!!

I had my first grey hair when I was just 23. And then just as a reflex, I plucked it away. I obviously didn’t want the grays to come to me. Obviously not...
And then I didn't see them for a while till the time when I became around 30 when the greys started coming over and decided to stay on my scalp. (ooooooh.....it is very early....not soooooooooooooooo soon..........................)
I didn't want these visitors, come on yaar... no one likes change... or was it about the hidden meaning beneath the greys????
What is it that was making me uncomfortable?
And then, once while I was finishing my therapy session with a child, I overheard a parent talking to another...
“You know what I am completely grey, I just color them...IIt'snot something to be proud of........” she told to the other parent. First message for me that greys are terrible!!!
The media and the advertisements played a major role in those days and added to the belief that you cannot afford to show your grays, you need to get them colored...
My friends told me – You need to color your hair, it is premature graying, just color them...
And then I started the practice of coloring the few greys that I had. And that is all...
It never stopped to the point now where I don't even know what is happening on my scalp.
How many new visitors have come?
How do I look if I do not color my hair?
Very very slowly, I am distancing my authentic true self from my own self. And this part feels sad and neglected...
Now, since the last 4-5 months, I am extremely uncomfortable coloring my grays. Its as if a part of me has split and is urging me to embrace them. I am unhappy that I have been ignoring them and covering them...SECRETLY...as if it is a crime to have them show.....
I cannot take this emotional turmoil inside of me and want to be who I am inside outside. Be it black or be it gray....
I have been ambivalent for a long time and I think its high time that I accept myself.
I know that it is not what the world thinks of me.... It is about what I think about me, ABOUT MYSELF!!!
So today
I choose and embrace my greys
I choose and embrace myself inside out...
I choose to uncover them...
They need to proudly see the world...
I give them that right...
I applaud them for coming...
I choose to face the awkwardness which I may feel...
I choose to step out of my comfort zone...
I am going to do this...I may keep changing my mind but I will do it...
There is a lot of resistance and I am pulled equally on both sides...
A part of me says “Don't stop coloring....”
Another part says “Please stop coloring....be your true self....”
And I am going to do this...
I choose to shed off my inhibitions...
I choose to learn what my grays want to teach me...
I embrace the CHANGE in me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...

I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week. One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words. You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed. And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it. There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life. So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just