Skip to main content

Grandparent's unconditional love....





Here I was in this small little hospital with my beeji. I was barely 20 years old and trying to take care of my sick beeji who was admitted because she had fever. It was pitch dark and it must have been 2-2:30 at night and I was awake thinking about her.

I had always thought that beeji is very strong. She never falls sick- no fever, hypertension or diabetes and was very proud of her. And now she got fever which didn't leave her for 3 days at 83 years of age.

At this time when it was pitch dark, I could hear the sound of some patients snoring, distressing sounds of the very sick patients and their relatives and the chirping alarms and the nurses chatting. I could see my beeji's body shivering with fever which I brought to the notice of the nurse and she administered a medicine which I prayed should help her to sleep.

It was a very small hospital and there was no place for the relative to rest or sleep. I was sitting on the floor next to beeji holding her hand. After the injection, my beeji called me in a very frail shivering voice. I quickly pushed that little drowsiness or sleepiness that I felt to answer her. I thought she wanted something and I was shocked to listen to what she told me.

She said " Reena, will you take care of me when I get old ?" This was the question that I was asked by her for the 1000th time.
I thought " I am taking care of you beeji and you are already old!!" But I replied, "Yes, of course, beeji!!"

And then another shaky voice and trembling warm hands held my hands and said " Don't sit on the floor. I will sit down, you sleep on the bed. Your body needs rest"!!!

I couldn't stop crying and tears started flowing down my eyes.I was shocked how can someone love so much. She loved me so much. My voice was hoarse and I couldn't reply to her as I didn't want her to realize that I was crying.

She tried her best to get up with her weak and sick body but her body did not cooperate. She couldn't get up and asked me to help her to sit up. I tried telling her that it's ok and that I was fine sitting down on the floor but no, she did not listen.

I still remember sitting next to her on her bed and we both sat till she slept off on the bed and I gently came down again.

I never understood how can someone love me so much. She was discharged after 2 days.

I don't know if it was the medicine that helped or the fact that " we are there for you " and " you are loved" feeling that healed her. The question " Will you take care of me when I am old?" has been asked to me zillion times and the answer "Yes, of course!!" changed my personality. Beeji sensitized me towards her needs and her fears.

She taught me that "unconditional love" just flows all the time whether you are sick or healthy. But fear also stays and our presence - JUST THE PRESENCE is a balm that helps to take care of fears of our loved ones.

Her gesture of caring for me and being there for me " touched my soul" - a touch I still feel today and I thank her for crossing my life on this planet earth. I have learnt that it is just the physical presence and a small smile that can evaporate all the fears of anyone. You don't have to be a professional or a doctor- you just have to BE THERE..... and when you give, you receive so very much!!!

Grandparents are amazing!!!

They leave a strong mark on our personality - a mark which makes us more human !!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...

I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week. One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words. You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed. And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it. There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life. So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just