Skip to main content

The most precious gift for a child....






A smart, thin, tall teenage boy with specs enters into my consulting room along with his mom. Mom is dressed in a sari, a mangalsutra, a bindi and green bangles.

He sits quietly while his mom starts talking to me. She talks to me in Hindi, asked me for permission to start in Marathi. Then the words and the expressions come in a flow and carry the emotions on top like waves in the ocean. Just as the waves come and go and it is a never-ending process, the mom wanted to go on and on pouring her heart out to me.

I was getting very restless and agitated as I wanted her to stop talking. Something feels uneasy in my heart and I get this sinking kind of a feeling, energy around me starts feeling very prickly because the mom went into this flow of criticising the boy in front of me. I was transported to the time when I was bathing in this criticism as a child. It was too much to take and the inner child in me pleaded her to stop. I had made peace with my emotional wounds but the boy was getting restless and I didn't want him to get any emotional wounds. His body language was constantly changing. He looked towards me and then to his mom and then decided to dig his eyes into the floor. I was not happy with the conversation and asked the parent to stop.

I took permission from this boy and then asked him to wait out. And then allowed the mom to speak. She was not happy with the academic performance of her son. Writing is slow and reading is slow. He does not complete his work in school and was a brilliant boy earlier. He is now becoming defiant and not listening at home. He even backanswers. He does not have friends and is lonely. This is getting bad and terrible. She wanted me to do therapy to help him.

I took her permission and called the boy in. I requested mom to wait out. And as soon as the mom was out of the room, everything changed. This timid looking boy, who was sitting with shoulders drooping, gaze fixed on the floor suddenly changed.

He looked straight into my eyes. His shoulders and spine were up with chest out, chin up. I was really shocked. He started speaking with me in very fluent English with a lovely accent. He was very expressive. He told me that - “I know that my parents feel that therapy will help me but I choose not to write. I choose not to read. I will not study no matter how much ever therapy they give me. What do you think of me?”. I thought I was supposed to answer but he went on “I am intelligent and understand everything that is taught in school. But I will not do anything. I will let my grades suffer”.

I allowed him to speak. And then when I thought it was right, I asked him how can I help him? He told me that he needs his parents time and that was all. He again started “My dad is too busy making a career. He took me to Dubai when I was little. I was doing very well there and made good friends. And then they got me to Baroda. I somehow settled in a year’s time and adjusted to the change in the learning style and the curriculum. I started making friends. And just as I had settled they got me to Mumbai”.

“Now again, I am not accepted by my classmates and they think differently and behave differently. While the teacher is teaching, I am thinking of how to fit into some group as I feel lonely”.

I was now getting to understand what this boy is going through. He told me that his mom is always busy doing household work and does not have time to understand or listen to what is happening in his life. His dad is never available.

Whenever he is watching TV, he is asked to take care of his younger sister and play with her. He told me that he loves his sister too much but does not want to babysit.

And then once he was done talking, I asked him again about “How can I help him?” and he said rather begged
“I don’t want any therapy to help me. Please ask my parents to give me time and understand me. I just want to talk to them not to get answers or solutions but just talk.”

And he broke down into tears after this statement. I was numb and was starting to wonder what is happening. He was fine immediately and smiled as if everything is fine.

I called the mom in again. This time like a mature adult, the boy told me that he will wait out. His mom agreed to everything that he said and herself mentioned that her son didn’t need therapy but “time” from his parents. She never saw things from his perspective.

I was shaken up and left with multiple questions in my mind about what was my lesson from this interaction and from this boy???!!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...

I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week. One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words. You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed. And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it. There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life. So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just