Skip to main content

Another Dusshera....same feelings!!!







Another Dusshera again....
Time to burn a Raavan once again!!!
Here I was dressed in my light green color frock, 8 years old, jumping with a group of 10-15 friends. We were just jumping from one house to another. My aim was to cover as many neighbors houses as possible and to give the “sona” to everyone -the green gold( leaves of Apta tree). Not worried that my dress was all muddy, the body was sweaty, hair in a mess, smelling like a pig holding the green gold with dirty hands. But “looks” were not important,”feelings” were.....
I remember holding just 3-4 leaves in my hand and worried about them. And in the time when we moved from one house to another, I would break every single leaf into 4-7 smaller pieces so that I could give it to everyone. And we all would say “Shubh Dusshera” and take blessings from elders.
And while giving the small part of the apta leaf, a silent prayer would go into the universe asking for happiness and prosperity for the family. We were so innocent and so pure. Prayers were purest as they came from every small little square millimeter of our big hearts. The eldest friend was the leader and we the “chillar party” would follow. Amazing Dusshera....and some neighbors would give us sweets in return which was the best part!!!
Dancing around the Devi and playing garba is something that makes my heart and soul dance. Collecting and exchanging oxidised jewelry and getting ghagras and dancing makes me feel alive on this planet. We would dance till we had blisters and till each drop of sweat would trickle down the back, the legs, the face, and the body would feel as if it was placed on a gas stove. Oh!!!
I just knew about the dance and later got to know about the goddess of materialistic possessions(Lakshmi), goddess of knowledge (Saraswati) and goddess of shakti (Durga) were worshipped.
I have a Durga, Saraswati, Lakshmi and Annapurna in me. They all live in me and I just have to tune the radio of my mind to switch to the right channel to get that quality out when needed. Its all in me is what my dad always told me. So I danced and danced and danced to celebrate the goddess within me and to become aware of those qualities in me. “I am that and that is me”.
Another memory is that of seeing the “Raavan burn”. I must have been around 17 years old in a place called Cheharta in Amritsar in a big ground. I thought I was the fortunate one because my sister’s house faced the big huge ground where effigies of “Raavan” were being erected. And I could stand on the terrace to witness the “Raavan Dahan”.There were a sea of people who came in from various places to just see this event happening, some occluding and blocking my view. To top it up, there were neighbors who would come to our terraces and it was all packed. Each one pushing the other just to get the glimpse of the “Dahan”.So so so many of them to just see Raavan get burnt. I would wonder what are they doing and why am I trying to hold my small little place on this terrace to see the Raavan!!!
No one at home in Punjab gave me the answer that I wanted from them about “Raavan Dahan”. And then after asking maybe hundreds of them, I asked my daddy. He said “Raavan is in all of us and Ram is also in all of us. And Raavan actually has ten heads and is a demon. It is stronger but so also is Ram”. I did not understand. But something linked inside as if I was closer to the answer that I wanted.
And later as years passed by, and now my role changes from a daughter to a mom and my son says “Mummy, why do people do Raavan Dahan? Who was Raavan? Who is Ram?” And I give him the same answer- they are in us. And Dusshera signifies victory of good over evil.
We choose whether the evil wins or the good wins. They are in us. Whenever the radio in my head starts – I check if Ram is speaking to me or Raavan is speaking to me. I just need to be aware". Just being aware.....that is all....
Happy Dusshera .....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...

I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week. One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words. You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed. And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it. There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life. So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just