Skip to main content

Bhau beej...Sister-brother love!!!








So yesterday there was bhau beej and there was big gathering at my in-laws place. It was lots of fun but the scene that has frozen in my mind’s eye really needs to be expressed.

My father in law (77 years old) went to his sister who is 80 years. And then it was time to celebrate Bhaubeej.

Just as we reached their house, aatya as I call her, came in her lovely green sari with a blue border. She was trying to see and recognise who has come and then her face and body language changed when she saw her brother. As she walked towards us, she was losing her balance a bit but her happiness knew no bounds. I was so sure that she will come to her brother. But she greeted all of us and acknowledged our presence.

Lots of talks with all of us but when she spoke to her brother- the voice, the body language, the emotions and the feelings were different. She spoke to my father in law just as a mom would speak to her small baby. There was so much love flowing that even I could feel and sense the change in energy. It was so light and healing. They spoke of things that were not so important but the feelings were something that I felt blessed to witness and bathe in. And my father in law also spoke to her just as a child will speak to his mom.They were just mesmerised into each other. The world stood still for them....

And then it was time to light the diya. And aatya was finding it difficult to do and his brother helped her. It was such a beautiful scene of bonding and love. And then aatya took her finger ring and kept it in the pooja plate (don't know why) and she made small semi-circles on the right and the left side in front of his brother and started singing prayers of good health and peace and love for her younger brother. She was completely oblivious of people around and was just flowing into those prayers- her voice moving up and down like small waves in an ocean of love. I felt the prayers and my heart literally felt the change in the energy around. It was like a golden wave that came from the two of them and spread across the room. They connected heart to heart and strung all of us into that feeling. As I write this, I still feel the feeling and I felt as if I was transported to Harminder Sahib- because I feel this feeling of warm unconditional love only there. Still feeling it in each and every cell of my being....amazing sister brother love.... age no bar.... time no bar.... love never grows old.... it is just to be felt......

And then I saw a little baby girl in aatya. She was gifted a small pearl necklace which my mom-in-law picked up for her. She wore it and did a small little dance just as a small girl will do when she receives a chocolate or a candy. Feelings have no age and we can feel them anytime we want to even when you are old, you cannot walk, your hair have turned gray, eyesight has weakened, back is bent, balance over body is poor, ears do not listen as much as they used to BUT LOVE is always the same-time has no effect on this feeling. Time cannot touch the core essence of all of us which is Love.

And then it was time for her to give something to her brother.... and I was really shocked and pulled out of my blissful state to see a “Colgate” toothpaste given. My mind had so many questions which I parked onto one side. We bid farewell to aatya and then in the car- the first question I asked my mom-in-law was “Why Colgate?” and I was judgemental. And she said because Aatya used to work in Colgate and always used to give this return gift which she still continues.

And then my judgemental self was quiet and realised again about how feelings are important. Colgate was anchored with feelings which I didn’t know but it was important.....


Amazing role feelings have and the ones we have for our loved ones are like magic- healing, pure, pristine, therapeutic, unconditional -they touch our soul!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss you daddy....

Dearest daddy, Wishing you many happy returns of the day... Again another birthday when you are physically not present with us. Every year, I tell myself that you are happy wherever you are.  I also tell myself that you are watching us and blessing us and happy for us.  All of this seems good to listen to and that is all. Maybe I am trying to fool myself by saying all of this. All this logic is not accepted by my heart... It is shunned away... The truth is- there is an abyss.... the special place in my heart is empty... Daddy, you are missed when we are happy... Daddy, you are missed when we are sad... Daddy, you are missed when I achieve something... Daddy, you are missed when I make your name proud... Daddy, you are missed when I see a dad interacting with her daughter... Daddy, you are missed every single day... Daddy, you are missed every single moment when I feel grateful... Daddy, you are missed every single moment when I feel blessed... Daddy, you are missed by every cell in my

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou