Skip to main content

Kojagiri Poornima...moonlight party!!

Fashion changes every day...and so does the moon!!
When I was little, there was this “Banjara” dress which was in fashion. My parents bought this white and red “Banjara” dress which had a red “Ghagra” and white blouse to it. It had a lot of mirror work on it. This used to be my favorite outfit when I was little -around 10 years old!!! I used to carry the chunari on my head and keep spinning watching my “ghagra” move with me....
And then there was a night of celebrations- “the moonlight party”.
My friends and elder friends (we were the “chillar” party) were told that we will have a potluck party. Then, we will play Antakshari, dumb charades and also share jokes. It sounded like a lot of fun to me and I pleaded with my mom that she allows me to go to this party. This party was to be held under the moonlight in the big courtyard that the houses collectively had. We were planning to stay awake till 12 and then have the nectar “the Amrit”.
I told my mom about the “the Amrit” and about its benefits. When we are kids, we believe every single word of what is said. I told my mom that I too wanted a spoonful of “Amrit”. After a lot of pleading and requesting, I was given permission......
And the night arrived. We were all sitting in a circle on the floor laughing to so many jokes which I don’t remember. But this day is etched in my mind as time became still for that night and I remember each and every detail of who all were present, what each one was wearing and who was sitting where. I remember having a great time and felt like a family with these friends. Don’t know the details of what we spoke but it felt really great and amazing. I remember feeling so proud that I could attend this “moonlight” party. As I type these words, I only see myself in that “Banjara” dress rolling away on the floor laughing while adjusting my small little necklace, dangling earrings, the bangles and my chunari.
After we had exhausted all the games, I remember making “bhel”- the yummiest that I have had in my life was on this day!!!
And then it was still not 12 and my friends were desperately waiting for the two hands of the clock to join. But here I was completely unaware of why the time had to pass and why those hands had to meet each other....so lost and happy with everything that was happening in a trance...
Then came the dance moment, some of us did solo dance performances and I remember dancing on “Raste pe woh khada tha” from the movie “Chaalbaaz”. It was so lovely to dance and just get lost in the rhythm of the song and become oblivious to everyone around.
And to end that night, we were all blessed with a spoonful of “Amrit”. And just as it entered into my mouth, I was abruptly pulled out of my trance.
“Amrit, what Amrit- this is kheer!!!” I still remember I was so disappointed. I was expecting some great tasting, mysterious looking magical liquid to go into my mouth....but....
Why am I talking about this night today?
Because it is that same “moonlight party” day.
Now, I know it is called “Sharad Poornima” or “Kojagiri Poornima”.
Some say that the moon comes closer to the earth and emits rays which are healing in nature. And that was the reason my friends used to call the kheer kept under the moonlight as “Amrit”.
So today a few of us gathered and meditated.... I took the pixie dust from the moon and massaged it all over my body and asked it to heal me.
Those friends, that courtyard and the fun is missing but the moonlight continues to stay with a new and a different set of people!!!
I love the moon, it comes every night faithfully when everything else around has changed so very much....it stays...
Happy Sharad Poornima to you all too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Makar Sankranti and Lohri...

Its makar Sankranti tomorrow. Lohri was yesterday... My son comes and says “What is this god bod thing mummy”? He says “Mummy, what is the reason to celebrate these things? Why do we do that? I explained that after this day, days get longer and winter starts to disappear gradually. And people eat laddoos made of sesame and jaggery. These are given to all friends and relatives- wherein it symbolizes that happiness and joyous state grows when shared. With the flood of malls and fast food outlets, eating special delicacies on special days is washed away leaving no trace of its importance for the kids. Buying new clothes happens every month when there is a sale on Amazon/Flipkart instead of doing it for festivals. Eating out happens every alternate week at a fast food hub... Things have changed... everything has changed and is changing... the waves are strong and washing away the importance of special days... And then I come back home in the afternoon lost in my thoughts abou

Happy birthday to me....

So here’s another birthday…. The day when I started my journey on this planet Gaia…. A new day and a new beginning reminding me of my purpose on this planet As earth merrily dances “garba” around the sun….for the 38th time now since I was born!!! From a “beta” to “didi” to “aunty” …. Happy birthday to me… From school to college to following my passion Happy birthday to me… From a daughter to a wife to a mom… Happy birthday to me… From being a daddy’s princess to the queen of my prince… Happy birthday to me….. From eating the “kheer” made by my loving mom to eating the cake made by cake shop!!! Happy birthday to me…. From listening to songs on “chayageet” and “chitrahaar” to cassette to floppy to online music on the net… Happy birthday to me…. From watching movies on black and white TV to sometimes color TV to a movie screen in theatres… Happy birthday to me…. From playing in the lap of Mother Nature to playing computer games to mobile games…. Happy birthday to me…. From mee

Learning lessons of life from the little ones...

I have been witnessing amazing experiences since the last one week. One parent came to me and she was really unhappy that her son is having behavior problems. The child (8-year-old) had a diagnosis of Autism and communicates by using just a few words. You know what I have this amazing sense to feel people by their energies. When a family enters my consultation room, sometimes I feel pins all over my body and I know that the family is really really stressed. And then there are others who visit me, who are passing through the same experience as the others but they carry with them a blanket of peace and calm and I am also sucked into it. There are others who come who comb my “being” with vibrations of deep insights revealing strong, intense and raw truths about life. So, I love to nurture this sense in me and love to sense people and their energies. So, when the door opens, my energy antennae start sensing – is it heavy, light or sorted or confused or just